Plan Outline?

Home Forums The TSDMAS Plan Outline Plan Outline?

Tagged: 

This topic contains 11 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of John JR Land Iowa Karate John JR Land Iowa Karate 11 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Elmer Garrido
    Elmer Garrido

Plan Outline – I think a good outline of our organization would make it very clear what our goals are, as people contribute to this outline, I’ll update it periodically.

———————————— M R. Brown———————————-
    By-laws that need to be addressed quickly would be
    1. Mission
    – What is our mission? In my opinion it should be to allow independent practitioners to have an
    organization that will provide advice and support as well as the opportunity for rank advancement.

2. Do we have voting members? How are they to be determined?

3. Will there be regular meetings? If so, what format – given our distances it would need to be Skype or something similar. How often? Quarterly might be good, monthly in the beginning.
    ************* On 2-14-2016 GM D.Zacker initiated a weekly member roll call on Facebook ***********
    4. I think a very informal approach is best, especially to stay away from politics and the other things that bog down federations.

Traditional and Independence!
    – How independant can the individual solo or school owner be?
    ———————————— M F. Fuller ———————————-
    Independence for school owners, make like a nonprofit, options for either lifetime or individual membership. Let each instructor pick from a list of forms here to use that have a historical basis in the art.
    http://web.archive.org/web/20091027102911/http://geocities.com/david_a_hacker/MartialArts/matab.html
    ———————————— M F. Fuller ———————————-

– Bylaws? Bylaws would set some rules so that everyone an adhere to the same protocols such as advancement, time in grade, and many other important rules so everyone is treated equally throughout the organization. Here are some examples I found on the net.

United States Martial Arts Association
    http://www.wwmaa.org/new-org/new-pdf/04bylaws.pdf

USA MIXED MARTIAL ARTS KI FEDERATION
    http://usammakif.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/Bylaws-version-4.pdf

Here is a more informal format
    International Karate Connection Association
    http://karateconnection.com/wp/ikca-bylaws

– State and International Reps?
    ************* GM D.Zacker ***********
    We now have a Council Of Masters and State Representatives

Services Offered

– Curriculum development?

– I think we should stay completely out of the mandating of a curriculum, however a sample curriculum
    can be posted as part of the website. I have a pretty thorough one that could be posted, and
    everyone that has one could list theirs as well, for example. This would allow instructors to look
    at theirs and make whatever changes they need.

– School owner help?

– record keeping?

– student retention?

– dojo design?

– marketing?

– Seminars and Training?

– Advancement for those overlooked?

– Time in grade
    Anything to do with grading requirements and time in grade, I would stay away from. In all honesty, instructors should adhere to their own standards. We should encourage good standards, but time in grade is an outmoded process that I believe was instituted to keep students under an instructors thumb for a longer period of time.
    Curriculum

– Tranditional and or Modern?
    I think that is where we should focus – help people develop their own curriculum based on what they want to teach, and help them figure out ways to promote and advance their school or club.

Open to other Styles?

– Which ones?

Membership – Packages – Cost

– Life Time? GM decided on $250 life time

– Yearly? GM decided on $25 for colored belts and $50 for black belts

– LIfe Time, Yearly, and Individual with different packages?

What can we do to make our organization different and better?

—————- Our front page ———————-
    No Politics Just Freedom!
    It’s Independence day!
    All Styles And Systems Welcome!
    No high cost for advancement.

Make The Tang Soo Do Martial Art’s Society Your Home Today!

Please feel free to take a tour of the website.
    —————- Our front page ———————-

Profile photo of Rick Brown
    Rick Brown
    Participant

Anything to do with grading requirements and time in grade, I would stay away from. In all honesty, instructors should adhere to their own standards. We should encourage good standards, but time in grade is an outmoded process that I believe was instituted to keep students under an instructors thumb for a longer period of time.

I will look over the bylaws and offer opinion on that (GM Zacker will tell you I love to offer opinions lol)

Also, the services looks good, and I think that is where we should focus – help people develop their own curriculum based on what they want to teach, and help them figure out ways to promote and advance their school or club.

Elmer Garrido

Master Brown;

” time in grade is an outmoded process that I believe was instituted to keep students under an instructors thumb for a longer period of time.”

That is true and I agree for instructors, their students and their schools. I was thinking more in the lines of the black belts in our organization and how they move up in ranks as time goes on to avoid internal strife and bickering. This is part of the bad politics and favoritism that can creep up as an organization grows.

“I will look over the bylaws and offer opinion on that (GM Zacker will tell you I love to offer opinions lol)”

Reads good, the more opinions and feedback we get the better, it will help our organization grow, increase in value and perhaps even break the old mold. As for the bylaws examples I gave, I like the informal one better, I think it’s more direct to the point and very clear. It doesn’t get lost in formal structure that can read like a legal document and put you to sleep.

Perhaps someone can start a bylaws forum and we all can comment back and forth until we can come-up with a nice final clear document?

Profile photo of Frank Fuller
    Frank Fuller
    Participant

sounds good.

Elmer Garrido

Master Fuller,

“sounds good.”

Which part?

Profile photo of Frank Fuller
    Frank Fuller
    Participant

Independence for school owners, make like a nonprofit, options for either lifetime or individual membership. Let each instructor pick from a list of forms here to use that have a historical basis in the art.

http://web.archive.org/web/20091027102911/http://geocities.com/david_a_hacker/MartialArts/matab.html

Rick Brown
    Participant

By-laws that need to be addressed quickly would be

1. Mission
    – What is our mission? In my opinion it should be to allow independent practitioners to have an
    organization that will provide advice and support as well as the opportunity for rank advancement.
    – I think we should stay completely out of the mandating of a curriculum, however a sample curriculum
    can be posted as part of the website. I have a pretty thorough one that could be posted, and
    everyone that has one could list theirs as well, for example. This would allow instructors to look
    at theirs and make whatever changes they need.

2. Do we have voting members? How are they to be determined?

3. Will there be regular meetings? If so, what format – given our distances it would need to be Skype or
    something similar. How often? Quarterly might be good, monthly in the beginning.

4. I think a very informal approach is best, especially to stay away from politics and the other things
    that bog down federations.

Elmer Garrido

Excellent feedback Master Brown and Master Fuller!

I have updated the main Plan Outline with your suggestions.

If we can keep this ball rolling as the Plan Outline expands it can eventually, after cutting all
    the fat, become our mission statement, by-laws, and overall organizational plan.

Rick Brown
    Participant

Excellent! Love the addition of the notes and comments to the top of the thread!

Elmer Garrido

Let’s keep it rolling!!!

Rick Brown
    Participant

Yes. We need some input from other people though.

I keep trying to send comments but my server keeps getting dropped my apologies, anyway one of the many things I attempted to mention is that a chief instructor should at least be required to get a lifetime membership, at the very least, require it for chief staff that are not from a different style, maybe make that a minimum requirement, it might save some trouble down the road.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.